The Coleman staff is our number one resource for creating a positive experience for our campers. We carefully select our counselors based on their demonstrated talent and enthusiasm for working with children, sound judgement, and their commitment to Judaism.
Staff Week at a Glance
All of our counselors and specialists arrive at camp at least a week before the campers for training in addition to the skills and knowledge with which they already come to Coleman. The following is a list of topics usually covered over the course of this week.
- URJ Camp Coleman’s Mission and Four Core Values
- Coleman Traditions and Camp Acclimation
- Safety and Security Training
- A Typical Day at Camp- Transition Times and Role Modeling
- Child and Teen Developmental Stages
- Core Counseling and Communication Skills
- Camper Care
- Preventing, Recognizing, and Stopping Bullying
- Jewish Teachable Moments
- Campers with Special Needs
- Behavior Management- Positive Reinforcement
- Creating an Inclusive Community
- Health Center How-to’s
In addition to participating in professional training sessions, staff week focuses on building a warm, inclusive and positive community into which we will welcome our campers. Listed below are some examples of staff programming that help to create the fun environment in which we get to know each other..
- Cafe Karaoke Night
- Trivia Night
- Video Game Night
- Campwide Capture the Flag
- Alpine Mini Golf
- Campfire Stories and Bonding
- Mini Maccabiah (Color War)